Wednesday, June 30, 2010

The first of my many ramblings...


This is the car in which I try not to kill innocent people in on the way to the grocery store.

Here in Denmark, there are lots of challenges..some big and others not so big. One of my challenges is that I don't understand things people are saying... I am getting better at hearing the words separately instead of one big jumbled conglomeration of strange vowel-consonant combination craziness. I am learning that I can understand more when I am listening to the family talking because I am familiar with the rise and fall of their particular voices. I learn new words every day and I feel much like a child, so at times I feel full of joy for learning something as simple as the word for "weird." But I also find it quite frustrating and I want to kick something because my brain is so old and full of dust bunnies.
I read an entire children's book in Danish to the children today. I think I got most of the words right and because I had read that one with Kasper already, I could translate it and understand most of it on my own with little help. It's so funny, but I was really proud of myself. I, of 32 years, am proud of myself for reading a children's book. :) ha!
Another challenge is the grocery store. Yes, seriously. It starts when you back out of the drive way... take care to not hit the insane cyclists on your way out. Down the road you drive, over various speed bumps that are bigger than your actual vehicle. One of such speed bumps takes you into one lane and you must take turns with the drivers coming the other direction. Pay close attention to elderly drivers as they attempt suicide in such situations. Once you have arrived at the grocery store, make sure you bring in your 10 kroner coin because the carts cost money! But don't fret too much, you'll get your coin back when you return your cart. Now you enter the world of crazy Danish grocery shoppers. If you come at a busy time of day, you are in for a real treat. There is no talking, no greeting of fellow shoppers, no excuse me or pardon me... they keep their eyes on the prize. If you go to one of the more expensive stores, you'll find things are in a fairly decent order, but don't expect to find things you are used to in the states. You won't find fat free raspberry vinagrette or Little Debbies. You won't even find those delicious coffee creamers that I am still having withdrawls from even though they are called International Delights (as pointed out by Jenny today). If you are a bargain shopper, like you know I am, those stores are only vaguely maneuverable. It takes a special person to say they love Netto. :) I'll get there one day. Once you make your way through your grocery list, giving up on half (or more) of the items, you proceed to the check out counter. They look the same as in SC, but they're not! They scan your groceries like usual, you put your card in a funny way, and then... I hope you brought your own bags or have really big pockets because (plastic bags are for sale), guess what? It's time to bag your groceries (you better do it quickly too!). So, now that you have an entire cart full of groceries, with your own bags stuffed full because you only brought 3, you start to walk out of the store. Wait! You can't take the cart out! So, then you must pick up those over laden bags, run to the car with your arms aching (cursing yourself for having bought so much and thanking yourself at the same time for giving up on the other half of your list), and pray to God that your bags don't break. Then you are in your car again, breathing a sigh of relief, but make sure you don't let your guard down too much because you still have to drive home again with elderly people and cyclists all about just waiting to scare you!
But in all seriousness, the food here is wonderful. It is really nice to know that you can go to the grocery store knowing that all food is organic and you can feed your children with confidence. I don't think they realize what a treasure it is to have that as a standard. So, I am grateful on many accounts for the crazy grocery stores. There are many more adventures in the grocery stores, I am sure of that.
I meant to tell you about other things as well, but it seems I've taken to rambling, which I am well known for, but hopefully you were at least mildly amused. It's good for me to get these things off my chest. :)

3 comments:

  1. Ah, thanks for bringing back lots of memories...makes the daily shopping trip more understandable, eh? I never understood that lack of eye contact/acknowledgement....even though in Germany you "had" to state a greeting upon entering the store, to no one in particular...only to be ignored or treated like an imbecile for not being able to put together a proper sentence....good times :-) I am impressed that you are already driving- very brave of you! Keep it up- one day at a time...you are doing GREAT!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hehe... I remember having to pay for carts! Although they didn't have quite the crazy rules in N.Ireland. We stayed close enough to just walk the cart home, unload groceries and walk it back. But how phenomenal that everything is organic. Glad you've got a blog going... the perspective is great. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are welcome for the memories Melissa. I am sure you will identify with a lot of what I will say! :) It's bizarre to enter a different culture. Exciting, but also frustrating at times too. I have experienced a little of what I think may be fear, although that sounds like a strong word. Driving is only a portion of my long, long, venture... more to come. :) Hugs and thanks for the encouragement!

    ReplyDelete