Sunday, July 11, 2010

Jeg elsker min dyne!!!

The bed is a bundle of paradoxes: we go to it with reluctance, yet we quit it with regret; we make up our minds every night to leave it early, but we make up our bodies every morning to keep it late. ~Charles Caleb Colton

...and here I am every morning, wanting to never quit my bed, for in it I lay under the most fantastic covering... cozy, warm, yet cool to the touch... jeg elsker min dyne!


When searching for the definition of a dyne, I came across several meanings for the word. I found one most interesting...

A centimeter-gram-second unit of force, equal to the force required to impart an acceleration of one centimeter per gram per second to a mass of one gram.

while the second is more accurate...

n. A quilt, usually with a washable cover, that may be used in place of a bedspread and top sheet.

...it is far from the whole truth...

If one were to find a "dyne" in the States, it would be the most expensive thing by far that they have ever slept with. I know how that may sound... ;) but seriously, a duvet... a really good one... costs at least 300$. AT LEAST! I guess, in order to give you, not just the general idea, but the whole experience, I must start from the beginning. My first experience of the said "dyne," was in February of 2009. I was in Denmark for the first time. When I walked into the apartment I found a double sized bed with not one, but two mattresses, covered in one, double sized sheet, with no top sheet, and each with their own comforter, dyne...
I thought it was quite odd. I thought to myself... hmm, these danes must not like a whole lot of contact in the night. Or perhaps, they are just weird. But after my second trip to Denmark, I was sold on not only the idea of a dyne, but also the possession of one's own dyne! The mattresses being separate are really quite clever. It's like our "sleep number beds" only that they are much less expensive. The danes get two separate mattresses, each satisfying the person sleeping on them. And then they stick them together! Who woulda thunk it? :) Why don't we do that in the States?
When Kasper officially moved to the states, I was ecstatic about the idea of him bringing his two dynes with him. But when we decided to move to Denmark, we quickly abandoned the idea of the dynes coming to the states. :( When I arrived here in DK, I was soooo excited to learn that I had a brand new dyne waiting for me. I sleep like a rock under that thing... I love my dyne. I do not want to share, I don't want you under it, or laying on the corner of it, stay away, fra min dyne! :) ha ha.
A dyne is a seriously wonderful commodity. You lay down on your mattress, tossing the dyne over yourself. It is of the perfect weight, perfect size, and wonderfully warm. It makes this cozy crinkly sound when it moves. It is cool to the touch, but warms up easily. Even when it's summer and you don't have airconditioning, you don't want to sleep without it. It is wonderful. It is heavenly. It makes me want to never leave my bed.
And with that my friends, good night! :)

1 comment:

  1. it's the same in slovakia, where my husband lived for a year, and most of eastern europe. when we went back a few years ago, every hotel/friend's house had the same waiting for us. are your mattresses made out of SUPER firm foam? that took me a while to get used to...

    love hearing about your adventures!

    ReplyDelete